This month, we’ve been hard at work on another feature-packed system update. This update is scheduled to go live Tuesday December 4th, and includes a range of exciting enhancements, new features you can take for a test drive in beta, plus some great improvements to our help and support workflows.
For a complete list of features and bug fixes addressed in the upcoming release, please refer to the official release notes post on the community forums.
Improved Web Form and Comment security
We’ve introduced four important changes/updates that will help you protect client sites from human or automatic spam bot attacks on web forms and comments.
1. We've introduced a new native CAPTCHA engine that will be available in parallel with the current engine. We've made it more difficult to visually read, but also more secure against spam bots that base their actions on image detection. You can switch between the existing and new CAPTCHA engines under Site Settings > Captcha. Learn more here.
2. We've also integrated reCaptcha, Google's popular image verification engine. reCaptcha is available for web forms, however will not be available for blog comments or for the tell-a-friend module. You can insert reCaptcha from the “Misc” tab of the web form builder.
For details on setting up reCaptcha for web forms, please refer to this article.
3. We've improved our integration with Akismet, and starting with this release BC should detect spam submissions faster and with more ease, once the engine has begun learning.
4. All new web forms will have the BC 'honeypot' spam protection module enabled by default. The "Web Form Security" module, which currently is available in the eCommerce tab of the web form builder, will be renamed to "Anti-bot Spam Protection" module, and will be applied by default to all new web forms.
In-product help resources
We’re introducing a new in-product help system which will provide you with relevant help resources, based on the current area of the system you’re working in. For instance, if you’re building your first web form you will be presented with a range of articles and tutorials on the topic of web forms.
Improved support workflows
Based on your valuable feedback, we’ve completely revamped our Help & Support area. As part of this revamp, we’ve also decided to switch live chat and ticket submission tools. Submitting new tickets and managing your existing tickets will be quicker, easier and not require any additional login credentials.
For all the details of the upcoming support changes, make sure you read Vlad’s recent blog post.
With this system update, we’re also launching several new features in beta. These features / enhancements can be enabled under Site Settings > Beta Features.
Updated interface for setting page SEO metadata
We’re introducing an intuitive interface for editing Page SEO metadata, for both Partners and your clients. The SEO Metadata fields now correspond to the following standards-compliant content inside the HTML page:
- <meta name="description" content="...">
- <meta name="robots" content="noindex">
If a page contains <meta name="robots" content="noindex">, even if added via Dreamweaver or other code editors, the page will automatically be excluded from your sitemap.xml and BC site search.
The new interface can be activated by going to Site Settings > Beta Features > SEO Pages. This will involve migrating some of existing metadata from internal BC systems into page content itself (titles, metadata set with old UI V2 interface, and Exclude from search setting), which is done automatically for you.
New in-context campaign editing experience for business owners
We’ve introduced a new editing experience for your business owner clients that’s intuitive and separates content from style inside your email campaigns. Using InContext Editing mark-up, you’re now able to define editable regions inside the HTML code of your email newsletter templates. Editable regions can be applied on both static (text, links, images or html) or dynamic (modules) content. When your client goes to edit the content of this template, they’re only manipulating the raw content itself, and hence are unable to break elements or the overall layout.
Enabling this feature under Site Settings > Beta Features > Email Marketing will split the campaign editing experience for Partners into two tabs - "Developer Editor" and "Client Editor" - with the latter being the in-context editing experience your clients will see.
For details and to provide your feedback on this feature, refer to this forum document.
Import/Export of product variations
As part of our on-going inventory control for attributes beta development, this update we’re enabling Import/Export of product variations via a CSV or TAB file.
Improved analytics engine
We’re introducing a new and improved analytics engine, that will bring faster and more accurate reporting your client sites. In addition to performance improvements, this feature also includes:
- A new report that displays visits from mobile devices
- Browser and OS Version reports now show the latest versions of the visitor’s operating system or browser, based on the request header data received
As with all beta features, keep an eye out on this blog post and the community forums for further details and the opportunity to provide your feedback on these in-development enhancements.