We're happy to introduce the first public beta release of the next generation of the Business Catalyst platform. As we've highlighted in our release announcement, this release will change the way Partners create sites on Business Catalyst by introducing several major updates to the core platform:
- Enhanced rendering engine and mark-up language
- Data accessibility and output
- Improved editing experience
While these changes have been already filtered in a closed alpha program, we are eager to share them with the entire partner community and have them fine tuned before having them pushed on production. If you're looking for easier methods to create sites, access or display data, or just a better content editing experience, you should take a look at this release.
Eager to check out the new features? Here is how you can get started:
- Visit http://alpha.businesscatalyst.com/
- Sign-up with a new Adobe ID
- Create your first trial site; as a starting point, to give you some hints, we've created the "universalis-liquid" template with liquid mark-up included
- Visit the beta section of our developer reference site to access getting started and reference guides
- Start coding on your new trial sites
- Give us feedback on the developer forum
- For this beta program, DO NOT USE your existing Adobe ID. Please create a new one so that you don't mix your production sites with beta sites. While you can sign-in using your regular Adobe ID, you risk of managing production sites together with beta sites which might lead to unexpected results. We do not provide support for the sites created under the beta program. Furthermore, these sites might be disabled and their data/content might be deleted at any time.
- Do not upgrade sites created on the alpha environment, or use any features that otherwise you wouldn't use on a production site.
- This first release has some known issues and limitations compared to the production release; please check the developer forum for more details.
How-to's and reference guides
Once passed the initial steps, you might want to check these how-to guides before digging deeper into the new stuff:
As you start using liquid, you might also want to bookmark the beta reference guides:
If you're looking for other training materials, please use the developer forum to give us feedback on what else we should provide to help partners get started.
Use the developer forum to find information about the beta features, get answers to your questions or request new features and updates. The engineering team will closely monitor this forum and be involved in the discussions.
While having this release public marks an important milestone, we're not there yet and we'll continue to improve it and refine it within the next few months. Here are just a few things yet to be released or improved:
- Enable liquid for the remaining overall layouts; currently only shop, blog, news and web apps are supported
- Enable liquid for the remaining modules
- Updated module manager to support the new module syntax and module_json
- Updated pages and templates admin interfaces to fully support the .json.html
- Add browse for template feature in module manager
- Fine tune the 1-Click insert and CSS class selector features in the new admin editor
- Add drag & drop file and image upload support in the new admin editor
- Updated ICE editor - while this is included in the current beta, it's more a proof of concept for now
Looking forward to your first impressions,
The Adobe Business Catalyst Team.