Today, we are releasing a new system update that includes additional anti-spam measures focused to prevent spam on forums as strengthen the measures already available for comments. Additionally, the update includes incremental updates to the BC.Next beta version like custom template support for additional modules or WYSIWYG CSS styles fix.
Additional anti-spam measures
With this release we are continuing the fight against spam, with a focus on preventing forum spam and further enhance the protection for comments. With comments, we noticed that one of the basic and efficient ways to prevent spam is a captcha mechanism, we decided to add this for forums as well. Furthermore, we will be automatically enabling captcha when we detect high volumes of forums or comments. See the below the detailed list of changes brought by this release:
- Enforced captcha for comments - If any BC object (blog post, product, webapp, etc) has more than 300 comments, captcha validation will be turned on; the setting is site wide and users will not be able to disable it; if captcha is enforced, you will need to update all comments form to add captcha module. For more details on how to insert captcha for comments, read this article.
- Added captcha support for forum posts - users can now enforce captcha for forums from Site Settings > Captcha interface; BC will automatically add the captcha module into forum post form;
- Enforced captcha for high volume forums - Automatic forum captcha will be enabled if one of the forums on the site has more than100 topics or more than 3000 posts; on these conditions, users will not be able to disable it; the captcha module will be automatically added by BC into the forum post form;
- Limit forum post size - starting with this release, users will not be able to add forum posts that have more than 5 KB of text. Existing forum posts will not be impacted by the change and the system will continue to display them;
- Enforced pagination on forums - starting with this release, we will only display the first 100 posts in a topic. If a site has more than 100 posts, partners will need to update the forum layout to add pagination; for that, we've enabled the tag_previouspage and tag_nextpage in the forum posts layout as well;
- Automatically enable spam detection - additionally, when captcha is enforced due to high volumes of comments or forum posts, the system will also automatically enable the spam detection mechanism (Akismet) for the site
BC.Next improvements and fixes
As with the previous release, the release includes new additions and bug fixes to the BC.Next beta version. This time, we focused on fixing some of the enhancements and problems reported on the beta forum or through customer support. See below a list of fixes included in this release:
- 3850821 - Fixed a bug in module_webappscount that did not worked when using a category name
- 837226 - Fixed an issue causing the new WYSIWYG editor to ignore CSS styles referenced through the template;
- Added custom template support for module_menu (v1), module_blogsitepost (issue #842584) and module_blogpostlist (issue #842581)
- 821713 - Updated productfeaturelist to prevent <ul> output when using a custom template
- 3847788 - Fixed an issue causing module_webapps to display the same random items when inserted multiple times in the same page
Additionally, we've updated the beta flags available for the BC.Next version so that customers can have more control over the functionality included in the beta version. Thus, starting with this release partners are able to individually switch on/off the BC.Next engine, the new WYSIWYG editor, the leverage browser caching mechanism and the module syntax (with or without named parameters).
We hope you will enjoy this release and look forward to your feedback.
The Business Catalyst team