Update: I've posted a link to a video tutorial that Kiyuco have produced to show Partners how they can use their Partner Portal to reset a password for a client if they've forgotten their original password. You can watch it here.
Our engineering team is still on track to perform the OpenSRS mail migration on Friday morning (US Pacific Time). As promised I have published an email which you can send to your clients to warn them of the upcoming migration and give them the steps they should take. There are two versions:
- Whitelabled-email.html is the unbranded version and you should customize and use this version if you are a Premium Partner who has rebranded the CMS. You will need to change the logo at the top and put your own signature at the bottom before sending it out
- Businesscatalyst-email.html is the BC branded version if you prefer to use our brand and name when sending the email to your clients. It has the same migration details and instructions
If you would like to direct your customers to a Business Catalyst page with only the instructions you can use this link: http://businesscatalyst.com/support/mail-migration.htm
Our friends at Kiyuco have kindly provided an instructional video tutorial on how Partners can use their Partner Portal to reset their clients email-only passwords. You can watch here: http://kiyuco.com/_webapp_1274826/Manually_reset_the_system_password_for_an_email_only_user
Two things to note:
In addition to the Q&A published yesterday I'd like Partners to be aware of 2 extra points that engineering uncovered today:
- Manual Migration will not be offered going forward - as we cannot run the manual mail account migration process that's been offered thus far in parallel with our automated mass email account migration we are canceling this option effective immediately. If your clients request a manual migration please advise them to sit tight as they will be automatically migrated on Friday morning
- "Admin only" users who do not currently have email enabled for their user account will not be able to check the 'Enable Email' box inside their user settings after the migration - this is due to a limitation with provisioning OpenSRS email accounts that our engineering team are working to resolve by March. Post-migration, the workaround for this will be to first delete the existing "Admin only" user and then recreate the user with the "Enable Email" box ticked.
Final Migration Details
- What is happening: Business Catalyst is releasing a system-wide security and email infrastructure upgrade. Business Catalyst is migrating mail accounts from existing infrastructure to new mail infrastructure
- Migration Start Time: 1:00AM Friday 28 January 2011 (US Pacific) Check local times
- Migration End Time: 1:00AM Monday 31 January 2011 (US Pacific) Check local times
- Duration: 72 hours for full mail migration- although most accounts will be migrated in less time
- Customer Impact: All users are required to reset/update passwords after the migration begins. Users with hosted email will not have access to existing mail in their mailboxes until it is migrated to their new mailboxes.
Final Migration Instructions
During the next few days, upon attempting to login either through your current desktop e-mail client (using POP3 or IMAP) or through the webmail interface, your login credentials will stop working and you'll receive an "Invalid username or password" error.
Upon receiving this error, the steps you'll need to take are:
If you have access to the site's Admin Console (ie. you're an Admin user with email enabled):
- Login in site Admin with the user account for which you wish to perform a password change
- Go Home -> My Details -> Change Password form
- Enter old password and new password twice, and save the changes
This will result in the password being changed for both Admin and email access.
Changing your password via the Webmail login interface (ie.you're an "email only" user)
- Go to Webmail as per usual (eg: mail.mydomain.com)
- At the login screen you'll see a message that requests you perform a password update: "For security reasons, you will need to reset your password. Please go here to change your password."
- Clicking on Change password link will load a form where you can update your password.
- Enter your e-mail address, old password and new password twice, then save the changes
Once you have updated your password, you'll be able to login to the webmail interface, or through your desktop email client using the new password.
Please Note: Upon logging in with your new password, you will not see your old e-mail in the web interface or via IMAP, as we will be migrating e-mail to the new service following password upgrade. This means that your e-mail inbox and folders will look empty. Please wait a few days until the migration is complete for the older emails to appear.Thank you very much for working with us through this process,
Product Manager, Business Catalyst