This is a notification that BC's European datacenter migration is scheduled to occur at 10:00PM Saturday 2 April. (check local times here). We will be moving all Business Catalyst sites and application infrastructure hosted on our legacy London datacenter to our new Dublin datacenter. The migration will take 8 hours; during this time, any sites that are hosted on London will not be accessible and instead be replaced by a system maintenance message.
Sites hosted on other datacenters including Sydney, Dublin, legacy North America and the new US datacenter will be unaffected. Partner Portal access and site creation will also be unaffected.
- What's Happening?: We are migrating all sites and BC application infrastructure from London to Dublin in one bulk-move
- Start Time: 10:00PM Saturday 2 April 2011 - check local times here
- End Time: 6:00AM Sunday 3 April 2011 - check local times here
- How Long Will It Take? We will have a scheduled maintenance window of 8 hours, during which all sites hosted on London will be unavailable (both frontend and Admin console access). Once the maintenance is complete all sites will automatically be up again with both frontend and Admin Console access.
- What are we doing? We are going to replicate all databases between London and Dublin. We will also setup a high-speed direct datalink between the 2 locations, to ensure databases are kept in sync prior and during the migration. At the scheduled time of the migration we will reconfigure DNS settings and make other related BC architectural changes to point to the new Dublin Datacenter. We will also need to restart all web servers.
- Customer Action Required - sites hosted on legacy London DC with redelegated DNS: After the migration is complete you will need to update your DNS nameservers from ns[01,02,03].businesscatalyst.com to ns[1,2,3].worldsecuresystems.com. Please see our informational site for more details
- Customer Action Required - sites hosted on legacy London DC with 3rd party hosted DNS: After the migration is complete you will need to change your DNS settings with your DNS host i.e GoDaddy etc, to point to the IP address of the Dublin datacenter (220.127.116.11). This will re-enable FTP access to your site. Please see our informational site for more details
Communication Plan for Affected Sites
In addition to having setup an minisite at http://status-london.businesscatalyst.com/ to help you understand what is happening and provide detailed instructions, we will also be sending a series of notification emails to affected Partners and affected site owners who are billed directly by Business Catalyst. For white-labelled Partners, you will need to notify your own customers of the scheduled maintenance; we have prepared material which you can send to them, please download from here. Here's a list of emails you should be expecting throughout the week.
- Friday 24 March - 1st Notification is sent to affected Partners and Site Owners with details of the scheduled migration and action required afterwards
- Monday 28 March - Email containing a list of affected sites with their domains and whether the domain is redelegated to BC or hosted with a 3rd party registrar is sent to affected Partners
- Tuesday 29 March - 2nd Notification is sent to affected Partners and site owners with details of the scheduled migration and action required afterwards
- Friday 1 April - 3rd and Final notification is sent to affected Partners and site owners.
- Sunday 3 April - Partners and site owners will receive a notification when the maintenance is completed
Business Catalyst Product Manager