The final details for our North America data center (located in Ottawa) have been set. The move has been scheduled to occur on Sunday, 29 May 2011, starting with 12:00 AM EDT (check local times here).
During the migration, we will be moving all Business Catalyst sites and application infrastructure hosted on our legacy North America datacenter (located in Ottawa) to our new United States datacenter (located in New Jersey). The migration will take approximately 8 hours; during this time, any sites that are hosted on Ottawa datacenter will not be accessible and instead be replaced by a system maintenance message.
Sites hosted on other datacenters including Sydney, Dublin, and the new US datacenter will be unaffected. Partner Portal access and site creation will also be unaffected.
- What's Happening?: We are migrating all sites and Business Catalyst application infrastructure from Ottawa to New Jersey in one bulk-move
- Start Time: 12:00AM EDT Sunday 29 May 2011 (check local times here)
- End Time: 8:00AM EDT Sunday 29 May 2011 (check local times here)
- How Long Will It Take? We will have a scheduled maintenance window of 8 hours, during which all sites hosted on Ottawa will be unavailable (both frontend and Admin console access). Once the maintenance is complete all sites will automatically be up again with both frontend and Admin Console access.
- What are we doing? We are going to replicate all databases between Ottawa and New Jersey. We will also setup a high-speed direct datalink between the 2 locations, to ensure databases are kept in sync prior and during the migration. At the scheduled time of the migration we will reconfigure DNS settings and make other related Business Catalyst architectural changes to point to the New Jersey datacenter. We will also need to restart all web servers.
- Customer Action Required - sites hosted on legacy Ottawa datacenter with redelegated DNS: After the migration is complete you will need to update your DNS nameservers from ns[01,02,03].businesscatalyst.com to ns[1,2,3].worldsecuresystems.com.
- Customer Action Required - sites hosted on legacy Ottawa datacenter with 3rd party hosted DNS: After the migration is complete you will need to change your DNS settings with your DNS host i.e GoDaddy etc, to point to the IP address of the New Jersey data center (18.104.22.168). This will re-enable FTP access to your site.
- Customer Action Required - sites hosted on legacy Ottawa datacenter need to update payment gateway settings: Following the migration, customers using Optimal Payments, EBS, SagePay or Internet Secure payment gateways will need to update the Business Catalyst IP address in their payment gateway account. For each site affected, you will need to login to the payment gateway provider's Administration Console and update the provided IP address from 22.214.171.124 to 126.96.36.199
Communication Plan for Affected Sites
In addition to that, we're also going to send a series of email notifications to affected Partners and affected site owners who are billed directly by Business Catalyst. White-labeled Partners will need to notify their own customers about the scheduled maintenance. We have prepared sample emails which you can download here. Here is a list of emails you should expect until the migration:
- Monday 9 May - 1st Notification is sent to affected Partners and Site Owners with details of the scheduled migration and action required afterwards
- Thursday 12 May - Email containing a list of affected sites with their domains and whether the domain is redelegated to BC or hosted with a 3rd party registrar is sent to affected Partners
- Tuesday 17 May - Email containing a list of websites for which partners or customers need to update Business Catalyst IP in their payment gateway account; email will be sent to affected partners
- Moday 23 May - 2nd Notification is sent to affected Partners and site owners with details of the scheduled migration and action required afterwards
- Friday 27 May - 3rd and Final notification is sent to affected Partners and site owners.
- Monday 30 May - Partners and site owners will receive a notification when the maintenance is completed
Feel free to ask any questions through the comments thread below, and we'll answer as soon as possible.
Adobe Business Catalyst Product Manager